Eligibility for travel grants
The majority of applicants use grants to attend academic conferences. GSA travel grants can also be applied to activities related to professional development, such as workshops, pre-conference activities, acting as invited speaker (when costs of the trip are not already covered by the inviter), and when you must attend a meeting to fulfill obligations as an officer of a professional organization.
GSA travel grants allow reimbursement for conference registration fees (not including professional organization membership fees), lodging, airplane tickets, airport parking, transport to the airport, and mileage when driving (current reimbursement rates). Considering the limited dollar amount of award the GSA can provide, they can virtually always be limited in application to these main categories of expenses. We do not reimburse for meals or for gasoline.
Since your credit card or back statement converts your international purchases into dollars, providing it as your receipt for international travel makes processing simpler for the accountants and therefore is likely to make the application process go more smoothly.
Student eligibility criteria
- Students from academic programs overseen by the Office of Graduate Studies fall under the jurisdiction of GSA (see the full list of Graduate Academic Programs). If your academic department/program is represented at GSA meetings, you can apply for travel grants.
- Individuals who have not previously received a travel grant from the GSA have priority for grants.
- Individuals who attended a conference but did not present a paper or poster or otherwise participate are given the lowest priority of travel grants.
Grant awards on indirect purchases
The GSA cannot directly award a grant to a person with whom you travel who is not a current University of Missouri graduate student, such as a professor, a family member, or a friend who is not a graduate student.
However, as a Mizzou graduate student you can be reimbursed for the share of the expenses for which you reimbursed the party on the original receipts. Please submit:
- A copy of the original receipts of payment in the other party’s name;
- A signed and dated letter from the other party confirming that you reimbursed him or her, including the amount;
- Documentation of the reimbursement, such as a copy of the check paid to the other party, a receipt of cash payment, or a credit card or bank statement.